Smash Burgers are essentially Brisket Mince Balls smushed into patties on an extremely hot BBQ Plate. They take a couple of minutes to cook, and the high heat and meat caramelisation tastes delicious!
What you’ll need:
A BBQ Hot plate – Heated to piping hot! Brioche Buns, Brisket Mince, your favourite Meat Rub or Seasoning, some cheese and a burger press (Or a large spatula and an oven glove so you can press down to spread out the meat onto the hot plate).
Extras: Sauce, Pickles, Mustard, Onions, Jalapenos, Mushrooms, Kiwi Butcher Streaky Bacon.
How to smash it out…… Get your brisket mince and season with your favourite meat rub or seasoning and mix in a bowl. Measure out 100g amounts, roll into balls and place on a plate/board for easy transportation to your BBQ along with your cheese slices. (2x 100g balls equals one burger)
You can judge how much mince you need by how many burgers you need to make to feed everyone. No eggs or flour are needed as binders for the mince when making these burger patties, as the fat content in the Brisket Mince is going to hold the pattie together as it cooks at a high heat and caramelises.
Cut your brioche buns in half, prepare and cook off any bacon, onions or sides for your burgers in advance.
- Place your buns cut side down on the side of the BBQ plate – We want them to heat up but not burn!
- Place two 100g Brisket Mince balls onto the hot plate and smash them out into thin flat patties one by one.
- You will see them start to cook through, when the edges are browned flip them over (about 60-90sec) and place a slice of cheese on top of the flipped pattie to start melting and give them another 60 seconds
- Put your base, burger on your plate, stack one pattie and cheese on top of the other and transfer them to your bun and pop the other bun on the plate.
- Now add your extras – pickles, onions, bacon, sauces etc and smash the other bun down on top and you’re ready to munch!
Super quick, super easy, and any greens are definitely optional 😉